UK’s Solarcentury completes 40MW Doña Carmen solar farm in Chile

VALPARAISO – UK firm Solarcentury has completed and grid connected the 40MW Doña Carmen solar farm in Chile for Energía Cerro El Morado.

Energía Cerro El Morado selected Solarcentury as the EPC contractor to design and build the project, which is located in La Ligua in the Valparaiso region of central Chile.

Solarcentury will also undertake the operations and maintenance of the project for five years.

Doña Carmen has a 15-year power purchase agreement to supply several distribution companies in Chile with 60% of the electricity generated, while the remaining 40% will be sold on the spot market.

Solarcentury chief executive Frans van den Heuvel said: “Chile is the leading solar market in South America so we faced stiff competition for this project, however the Solarcentury team was fully committed to ensuring a successful outcome for all contract negotiations.

“Through our three offices in in Latin America, and with backing from the parent company in London, Solarcentury has established a solid presence in Latin America.

“We are well positioned to deliver further sizeable solar projects in the region.”