Colombians have rejected a peace deal to end 52 years of war with Farc guerrillas, throwing the country into confusion about its future.
With counting completed from 98 per cent of polling stations, the no vote led with 50.23 per cent to 49.76 per cent, a difference of 61,000 votes.
The verdict on the deal between the government of Juan Manuel Santos and the Farc reached after four years of intense negotiations means it cannot now be implemented.
Polls before the vote predicted yes would win with a comfortable 66 per cent share. Mr Santos had been confident of a yes result and said during the campaign that he did not have a plan B and that Colombia would return to war if the no vote won.
His opponents, led by former president Alvaro Uribe, said a win for their side would be a mandate for the government and rebels to negotiate a “better agreement”.
Both government and rebels have repeatedly said that the deal was the best they could achieve and a renegotiation would not be possible.
Mr Santos, who watched the results come in at the presidential palace in Bogota, said he would send his negotiators back to Havana to meet with Farc leaders on Monday.
“I will not give up,” he said in a televised address. I will continue seeking peace until the last day of my presidency.”
He added that the bilateral ceasefire that has been in place since August 29th would continue.